[gpfsug-discuss] Protocols protocols ...

Simon Thompson S.J.Thompson at bham.ac.uk
Tue Oct 9 20:37:59 BST 2018

So we have both SMB and NFS enabled in our cluster. For various reasons we want to only run SMB on some nodes and only run NFS on other nodes…

We have used mmchnode to set the nodes into different groups and then have IP addresses associated with those groups which we want to use for SMB and NFS.

All seems OK so far …

Now comes the problem, I can’t see a way to tell CES that group1 should run NFS and group2 SMB. We thought we had this cracked by removing the gpfs.smb packages from NFS nodes and ganesha from SMB nodes. Seems to work OK, EXCEPT … sometimes nodes go into failed state, and it looks like this is because the SMB state is failed on the NFS only nodes …

This looks to me like GPFS is expecting protocol packages to be installed for both NFS and SMB. I worked out I can clear the failed state by running mmces service stop SMB -N node.

The docs mention attributes, but I don’t see that they are used other than when running object…

Any thoughts/comments/links to a doc page I missed? Or is it expected that both smb and nfs packages are required to be installed on all protocol nodes even if not being used on that node?

Thanks

Simon