[gpfsug-discuss] GPFS nodes crashing during policy scan

Ratliff, John jdratlif at iu.edu
Thu Dec 6 16:36:35 GMT 2018

We're trying to run a policy scan to get a list of all the files in one of
our filesets. There are approximately 600 million inodes in this space.
We're running GPFS 3.5. Every time we run the policy scan, the node that is
running it ends up crashing. It makes it through a quarter of the inodes
before crashing (i.e. kernel panic and system reboot). Nothing in the GPFS
logs shows anything. It just notes that the node rebooted.

In the crash logs of all the systems we've tried this on, we see the same
line.

<1>BUG: unable to handle kernel NULL pointer dereference at 00000000000000d8

<1>IP: [<ffffffffa03fb7b2>]
_ZN6Direct5dreadEP15KernelOperationRK7FileUIDxiiiPvPFiS5_PKcixyS5_EPx+0xf2/0
x590 [mmfs26]

Our policy scan rule is pretty simple:

RULE 'list-homedirs'

    LIST 'list-homedirs'

mmapplypolicy /gs/home -A 607 -g /gpfs/tmp -f /gpfs/policy/output -N
gpfs1,gpfs2,gpfs3,gpfs4 -P /tmp/homedirs.policy -I defer -L 1

Has anyone experienced something like this or have any suggestions on what
to do to avoid it?

Thanks.

John Ratliff | Pervasive Technology Institute | UITS | Research Storage -
Indiana University | http://pti.iu.edu