[gpfsug-discuss] SS 4.2.1 + CES NFS / SMB

Andy Parker1 andy_parker1 at uk.ibm.com
Fri Nov 11 16:20:52 GMT 2016

We have setup a small cluster to test, play & learn about the protocol
servers.  We have setup mmuserauth for AD + RFC2307 and
we can share and access data via SMB and access is on windows clients with
no issues.

The file DAC of a file created via windows looks like this from the SS
cesNode:

$ ls -l
total 0
-rwxr--r-- 1 SPECTRUMSCALE\newmanjo SPECTRUMSCALE\ces-admins 33 Nov 10
17:29 helloworld.txt

The NFS protocol is also exported for  NFS 3,4  and when mount using  NFS
version '3' from an AIX 7.1 server I see also
OK DAC names uid / group, so the UID mapping is working.  The AIX is
linked to the AD for LDAP account services and
I can query accounts and get shell logon for accounts defined within AD
for unix services.

# ls -l   ( from AIX client NFS V3)
total 0
-rwxr--r--    1 newmanjo ces-admi         33 10 Nov 17:29 helloworld.txt

Now the Problem:
When I mount the AIX client as NFS4  I do no see the  user/group names.  I
know NFS4 passes names and not UID/GID numbers so I
guess this is linked.

# pwd
/mnt/ibm/hurss/share1
# ls -l    ( from AIX client NFS V4)
total 0
-rwxr--r--    1 nobody   nobody           33 10 Nov 17:29 helloworld.txt

On the AIX server I have set NFS domain to virtual1.com

# chnfsdom
Current local domain: virtual1.com

This matches the DOMAIN from the mmnfs config list domain ( not 100% sure
this is correct)

[root at hurss4 ~]# mmnfs config list

NFS Ganesha Configuration:
==========================
NFS_PROTOCOLS: 3,4
NFS_PORT: 2049
MNT_PORT: 0
NLM_PORT: 0
RQUOTA_PORT: 0
SHORT_FILE_HANDLE: FALSE
LEASE_LIFETIME: 60
DOMAINNAME: VIRTUAL1.COM
DELEGATIONS: Disabled

Also the 'nfsrgyd'  a name translation service for NFS servers and clients
is running.

lssrc -s nfsrgyd
Subsystem         Group            PID          Status
 nfsrgyd          nfs              8585412      active

Summary / Question:

Can anybody explain why I do not see userID / Group names when  viewing
via a NFS4 client and ideally how to fix this.

Rgds Andy P

Unless stated otherwise above:
741598.