[gpfsug-discuss] cross-cluster mounting different versions of gpfs

Damir Krstic damir.krstic at gmail.com
Wed Mar 16 18:07:59 GMT 2016

Sven,

For us, at least, at this point in time, we have to create new filesystem
with version flag. The reason is we can't take downtime to upgrade all of
our 500+ compute nodes that will cross-cluster mount this new storage. We
can take downtime in June and get all of the nodes up to 4.2 gpfs version
but we have users today that need to start using the filesystem.

So at this point in time, we either have ESS built with 4.1 version and
cross mount its filesystem (also built with --version flag I assume) to our
3.5 compute cluster, or...we proceed with 4.2 ESS and build filesystems
with --version flag and then in June when we get all of our clients upgrade
we run =latest gpfs command and then mmchfs -V to get filesystem back up to
4.2 features.

It's unfortunate that we are in this bind with the downtime of the compute
cluster. If we were allowed to upgrade our compute nodes before June, we
could proceed with 4.2 build without having to worry about filesystem
versions.

Thanks for your reply.

Damir