[gpfsug-discuss] cross-cluster mounting different versions of gpfs

Jonathan Buzzard jonathan at buzzard.me.uk
Wed Mar 16 18:47:06 GMT 2016

On 16/03/16 18:07, Damir Krstic wrote:
> Sven,
>
> For us, at least, at this point in time, we have to create new
> filesystem with version flag. The reason is we can't take downtime to
> upgrade all of our 500+ compute nodes that will cross-cluster mount this
> new storage. We can take downtime in June and get all of the nodes up to
> 4.2 gpfs version but we have users today that need to start using the
> filesystem.

You can upgrade a GPFS file system piece meal. That is there should be
no reason to take the whole system off-line to perform the upgrade. So
you can upgrade a compute nodes to GPFS 4.2 one by one and they will
happily continue to talk to the NSD's running 3.5 while the other nodes
continue to use the file system.

In a properly designed GPFS cluster you should also be able to take
individual NSD nodes out for the upgrade. Though I wouldn't recommend
running mixed versions on a long term basis, it is definitely fine for
the purposes of upgrading.

Then once all nodes in the GPFS cluster are upgraded you issue the
mmchfs -V full. How long this will take will depend on the maximum run
time you allow for your jobs.

You would need to check that you can make a clean jump from 3.5 to 4.2
but IBM support should be able to confirm that for you.

This is one of the nicer features of GPFS; its what I refer to as
"proper enterprise big iron computing". That is if you have to take the
service down at any time for any reason you are doing it wrong.

JAB.

Fife, United Kingdom.