[gpfsug-discuss] Excluding AFM Caches from mmbackup

Luke Raimbach Luke.Raimbach at crick.ac.uk
Tue Apr 5 10:50:35 BST 2016

Hi All,

Is there any intelligence yet for mmbackup to ignore AFM cache filesets?

I guess a way to do this would be to dynamically re-write TSM include / exclude rules based on the extended attributes of the fileset; for example:

1. Scan the all the available filesets in the filesystem, determining which ones have the MISC_ATTRIBUTE=%P% set,
2. Lookup the junction points for the list of filesets returned in (1),
3. Write out EXCLUDE statements for TSM for each directory in (2),
4. Proceed with mmbackup using the new EXCLUDE rules.

Presumably one could accomplish this by using the -P flag for mmbackup and writing your own rule to do this? But, maybe IBM could do this for me and put another flag on the mmbackup command :)

Although... a blanket flag for ignoring AFM caches altogether might not be good if you want to backup changed files in a local-update cache.

Anybody want to do this work for me?

Cheers,
Luke.

Luke Raimbach​
Senior HPC Data and Storage Systems Engineer,
The Francis Crick Institute,
Gibbs Building,
215 Euston Road,
London NW1 2BE.

E: luke.raimbach at crick.ac.uk
W: www.crick.ac.uk

The Francis Crick Institute Limited is a registered charity in England and Wales no. 1140062 and a company registered in England and Wales no. 06885462, with its registered office at 215 Euston Road, London NW1 2BE.