[gpfsug-discuss] Placement Policy Installation and RDM Considerations

Luke Raimbach Luke.Raimbach at crick.ac.uk
Thu Jun 18 14:35:32 BST 2015

Hi Marc,

Thanks for the pointer to the updated syntax. That indeed looks nicer.

(1)    Asynchronous policy propagation sounds good in our scenario. We don’t want to potentially interrupt other running experiments by having to quiesce the filesystem for a new one coming online. It is useful to know that you could quiesce if desired. Presumably this is a secret flag one might pass to mmchpolicy?

(2)    I was concerned about the evaluation time if I tried to set all extended attributes at creation time. That’s why I thought about adding a few ‘system’ defined tags which could later be used to link the files to an asynchronously applied policy on the home cluster. I think I calculated around 4,000 rules (dependent on the size of the attribute names and values), which might limit the number of experiments supported on a single ingest file system. However, I can’t envisage we will ever have 4,000 experiments running at once! I was really interested in why the limitation existed from a file-system architecture point of view.

Thanks for the responses.
Luke.