[gpfsug-discuss] Placement Policy Installation and RDM Considerations

Marc A Kaplan makaplan at us.ibm.com
Thu Jun 18 16:36:49 BST 2015

(1) There is no secret flag.  I assume that the existing policy is okay
but the new one is better. So start using the better one ASAP, but why
stop the system if you don't have to?
The not secret way to quiesce/resume a filesystem without unmounting is
fsctl <fsname> {suspend | suspend-write | resume};

(2) The policy rules text is passed as a string through a GPFS rpc
protocol (not a standard RPC) and the designer/coder chose 1MB as a
safety-limit. I think it could be increased, but suppose you did have 4000
rules, each 200 bytes - you'd be at 800KB, still short of the 1MB limit.

(x) Personally, I wouldn't worry much about setting, say 10 extended
attribute values in each rule.  I'd worry more about the impact of having
100s of rules.
(y) When designing/deploying a new GPFS filesystem, consider explicitly
setting the inode size so that all anticipated extended attributes will be
stored in the inode, rather than spilling into other disk blocks. See
mmcrfs ... -i InodeSize.  You can build a test filesystem with just one
NSD/LUN and test your anticipated usage.  Use tsdbfs ...  xattr ...  to
see how EAs are stored.  Caution: tsdbfs display commands are harmless,
BUT there are some patch and patch-like subcommands that could foul up
your filesystem.

From:   Luke Raimbach <Luke.Raimbach at crick.ac.uk>

Hi Marc,

Thanks for the pointer to the updated syntax. That indeed looks nicer.

(1)    Asynchronous policy propagation sounds good in our scenario. We
don’t want to potentially interrupt other running experiments by having to
quiesce the filesystem for a new one coming online. It is useful to know
that you could quiesce if desired. Presumably this is a secret flag one
might pass to mmchpolicy?

(2)    I was concerned about the evaluation time if I tried to set all
extended attributes at creation time. That’s why I thought about adding a
few ‘system’ defined tags which could later be used to link the files to
an asynchronously applied policy on the home cluster. I think I calculated
around 4,000 rules (dependent on the size of the attribute names and
values), which might limit the number of experiments supported on a single
ingest file system. However, I can’t envisage we will ever have 4,000
experiments running at once! I was really interested in why the limitation
existed from a file-system architecture point of view.

Thanks for the responses.
Luke.