[gpfsug-discuss] 4.1.1 immutable filesets

Simon Thompson (Research Computing - IT Services) S.J.Thompson at bham.ac.uk
Fri Aug 7 16:36:03 BST 2015

I did only try in nc mode, so possibly if its fully compliant it wouldn't have let me delete the fileset.

One other observation.

As a user Id set the atime and chmod -w the file. Once it had expired, I was then unable to reset the atime into the future. (I could as root). I'm not sure what the expected behaviour should be, but I was sorta surprised that I could initially set the time as the user, but then not be able to extend even once it had expired.

Simon
From: gpfsug-discuss-bounces at gpfsug.org [gpfsug-discuss-bounces at gpfsug.org] on behalf of Wayne Sawdon [wsawdon at us.ibm.com]
Sent: 07 August 2015 16:27
To: gpfsug main discussion list
Subject: Re: [gpfsug-discuss] 4.1.1 immutable filesets

> On 05/08/2015 20:23, "Simon Thompson (Research Computing - IT Services)"
> <S.J.Thompson at bham.ac.uk> wrote:
>
> >* if I have an iam compliant fileset, and it contains immutable files or
> >directories, can I still unlink and delete the filset?
>
> So just to answer my own questions here. (Actually I tried in
> non-compliant mode, rather than full compliance, but I figured this was
> the mode I actually need as I might need to reset the immutable time back
> earlier to allow me to delete something that shouldn't have gone in).
>
> Yes, I can both unlink and delete an immutable fileset which has immutable
> files which are non expired in it.

It was decided that deleting a fileset with compliant data is a "hole", but apparently it was not closed before the GA. The same rule should apply to unlinking the fileset.

HSM on compliant data should be fine. I don't know what happens when you combine compliance and AFM, but I would suggest not mixing the two.

-Wayne