[gpfsug-discuss] Creation time

Michael Neumayer michael.neumayer at univie.ac.at
Thu Oct 1 14:18:15 BST 2026


If you can use rsync (Linux) or robocopy (Windows) for the sync, preserving dates can be configured via the available options of these and similar tools. You may as well have a look at rclone (https://rclone.org/). I haven't used it a lot so far, but a colleague of mine did some large migrations with it, and was quite happy about it.

I've never tried, but if you still have the external file system available, you could probably use the mentioned tools just to update dates to their value on the source file system without transferring them again, in case you've already finished the sync.

Best,
Michael

________________________________________________________________________ 

Michael Neumayer  
CUBE - Division of Computational Systems Biology	
Centre f. Microbiology and Environmental Systems Science    	
University of Vienna						
Djerassiplatz 1
1030 Vienna, Austria					
https://cube.univie.ac.at/

Life Science Compute Cluster
https://lisc.univie.ac.at/



-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: gpfsug-discuss <gpfsug-discuss-bounces at gpfsug.org> Im Auftrag von Jonathan Buzzard via gpfsug-discuss
Gesendet: Donnerstag, 1. Oktober 2026 15:03
An: gpfsug-discuss at spectrumscale.org
Cc: Jonathan Buzzard <jonathan.buzzard at strath.ac.uk>
Betreff: [gpfsug-discuss] Creation time


Is it possible to change the creation time on a file in GPFS? I have a gut feeling the answer is no and I can't see a mechanism to do so but thought I might as well ask.

The use case would be syncing in data from an external file system and preserving all those creation times, that stretch back many years rather than have them all batted down to the date of the sync.

JAB.

-- 
Jonathan A. Buzzard                         Tel: +44141-5483420
HPC System Administrator, ARCHIE-WeSt.
University of Strathclyde, John Anderson Building, Glasgow. G4 0NG


_______________________________________________
gpfsug-discuss mailing list
gpfsug-discuss at gpfsug.org
http://gpfsug.org/mailman/listinfo/gpfsug-discuss_gpfsug.org


More information about the gpfsug-discuss mailing list