[gpfsug-discuss] Bandwidth low

Mathias Dietz MDIETZ at de.ibm.com
Tue Aug 25 15:56:35 BST 2026


Hi Jonathan,

I assume this is using GNR, right ? which Scale version are you using ?
Background: there was a known issue with the bandwidth_low event when GNR is used.

best regards

Mathias Dietz

Storage Scale RAS Architect

IBM Deutschland Research & Development GmbH
Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats: Wolfgang Wendt
Geschäftsführung: David Faller
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Böblingen / Registergericht: Amtsgericht Stuttgart, HRB 243294
________________________________
From: gpfsug-discuss <gpfsug-discuss-bounces at gpfsug.org> on behalf of Jonathan Buzzard via gpfsug-discuss <gpfsug-discuss at gpfsug.org>
Sent: Tuesday, August 25, 2026 4:47 PM
To: gpfsug-discuss <gpfsug-discuss at gpfsug.org>
Cc: Jonathan Buzzard <jonathan.buzzard at strath.ac.uk>
Subject: [EXTERNAL] [gpfsug-discuss] Bandwidth low


I have a number of new DSS-G servers that are showing a bandwidth_low
tip. Searching suggests this is something to do with a large pagepool
and insufficient network bandwidth.

Except all these servers have dual 200Gbps Ethernet connections in a
802.3ad bond to two SN3700m switches in an MLAG. After lots of digging
around the maxMBpS is set to 80000 which is what it should be.

I figure as far as Ethernet networking goes this is about as good as it
gets. It is way better than our old DSS-G which for a long time only had
dual 40Gbps Ethernet on each node, though this is now been maxed out at
quad 40Gbps Ethernet on each node. Those nodes are not showing the tip
despite their lower total network bandwidth.

The only thing I can think is that 200Gbps is an unusual Ethernet speed
which is confusing the calculations? I know Lenovo could not supply
200Gbps Ethernet optics and DAC's and I had to supply my own.


JAB.

--
Jonathan A. Buzzard                         Tel: +44141-5483420
HPC System Administrator, ARCHIE-WeSt.
University of Strathclyde, John Anderson Building, Glasgow. G4 0NG


_______________________________________________
gpfsug-discuss mailing list
gpfsug-discuss at gpfsug.org
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__gpfsug.org_mailman_listinfo_gpfsug-2Ddiscuss-5Fgpfsug.org&d=DwIGaQ&c=BSDicqBQBDjDI9RkVyTcHQ&r=-MaHePVLWSGaTuAdHQuYYijcz_c4mSZc_nxIEMnqfSM&m=Tj9xwUSzxhplEQ-sFL40lLKkeT7mwMyWEiqxwvqOOswUcUmpC8tGj_3mFpZJ_alg&s=VP9Bz2jfBILZfKfhLjlsspGHCiaYLDZX1nBy6mb-9xA&e=
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://gpfsug.org/pipermail/gpfsug-discuss_gpfsug.org/attachments/20260825/8b9b5f68/attachment-0001.html>


More information about the gpfsug-discuss mailing list