[gpfsug-discuss] Infiniband/Ethernet gateway

Jonathan Buzzard jonathan.buzzard at strath.ac.uk
Wed Jun 10 12:58:07 BST 2020

We have a mixture of 10Gb Ethernet and Infiniband connected (using
IPoIB) nodes on our compute cluster using a DSS-G for storage. Each
SR650 has a bonded pair of 40Gb Ethernet connections and a 40Gb
Infiniband connection. Performance and stability are *way* better than
the old Lustre system.

Now for this to work the Ethernet connected nodes have to be able to
talk to the Infiniband connected ones so I have a server acting as a
gateway. This has been running fine for a couple of years now.

However it occurs to me now that instead of having a dedicated server
performing these duties it would make more sense to use the SR650's of
the DSS-G. It would be one less thing for me to look after :-)

Can anyone think of a reason not to do this?

It also occurs to me that one could do some sort of VRRP style failover
to remove the single point of failure that is currently the gateway machine.

JAB.

HPC System Administrator, ARCHIE-WeSt.