[gpfsug-discuss] Spectrum Scale licensing

Aaron Knister aaron.knister at gmail.com
Fri Apr 17 14:15:07 BST 2020

Yeah, I had similar experiences in the past (over a decade ago) with Lustre and was heavily heavily anti-Lustre. That said, I just finished several weeks of what I’d call grueling testing of DDN Lustre and GPFS on the same hardware and I’m reasonably convinced much of that is behind us now (things like stability, metadata performance, random I/O performance just don’t appear to be issues anymore and in some cases these operations are now faster in Lustre). Full disclosure, I work for DDN, but the source of my paycheck has relatively little bearing on my technical opinions. All I’m saying is for me to honestly believe Lustre is worth another shot after the experiences I had years ago is significant. I do think it’s key to have a vendor behind you, vs rolling your own. I have seen that make a difference. I’m happy to take any further conversation/questions offline, I’m in no way trying to turn this into a marketing campaign.

Sent from my iPhone