[gpfsug-discuss] A net new cluster

Marc A Kaplan makaplan at us.ibm.com
Fri Mar 29 19:04:53 GMT 2019

I don't know the particulars of the case in question, nor much about ESS
rules...
But for a vanilla Spectrum Scale cluster -.

1) There is nothing wrong or ill-advised about upgrading software and then
creating a new version 5.x file system... keeping any older file systems
in place.

2) I thought AFM was improved years ago to support GPFS native access --
need not go through NFS stack...?

Whereas your wrote:
 ... nor is it advisable to try to create a new pool or filesystem in same
cluster and then migrate (partially because migrating between filesystems
within a cluster with afm would require going through nfs stack afaik) ...