[gpfsug-discuss] SSDs for data - DWPD?

Nathan Harper nathan.harper at cfms.org.uk
Tue Mar 19 13:36:26 GMT 2019

It has been interesting to watch the evolution of the same discussion over
on the Ceph Users mailing list over the last few years.   Obviously GPFS
and Ceph are used differently, so the comparison isn't direct, but the
attitudes have generally shifted from recommending only high DWPD drives to
the lower (or sometimes even lowest) tiers.

The reasoning tends to be that often you will write less data than you
think, and also drives often last longer than their rating.   We have an
all SSD (Samsung SM863a) Ceph cluster backing an Openstack system that's
been in production for ~12 months, and the drives are all reporting 97%+
endurance remaining.  It's not the busiest of storage backends, but Ceph is
a notorious write amplifier and I'm more than happy with the ongoing
endurance that I expect to see.