[gpfsug-discuss] SSDs for data - DWPD?

Buterbaugh, Kevin L Kevin.Buterbaugh at Vanderbilt.Edu
Mon Mar 18 22:45:03 GMT 2019

Thanks for the suggestion, Simon.  Yes, we’ve looked at that, but we think that we’re going to potentially be in a situation where we’re using fairly big SSDs already.  For example, if we bought 30 6.4 TB SSDs rated at 1 DWPD and configured them as 6 4+1P RAID 5 LUNs, then we’d end up with a usable capacity of 6 * 4 * 6 = ~144 TB usable space in our “hot” pool.  That would satisfy our capacity needs and also not exceed the 1 DWPD rating of the drives.

BTW, we noticed with one particular vendor that their 3 DWPD drives were exactly 1/3rd the size of their 1 DWPD drives … which makes us wonder if that’s coincidence or not.  Anybody know for sure?

Thanks…

Kevin