[gpfsug-discuss] Fw: Question about inodes increase - how to increase non-disruptively - orig question by Mladen Portak on 3/6/19 - 09:46 GMT

John M Sing jmsing at us.ibm.com
Wed Mar 6 16:42:11 GMT 2019

Hi, all, Mladen,

(This is my first post to the GPFSug-discuss list.  I am IBMer, am the IBM
worldwide technical support Evangelist on Spectrum Scale/ESS.  I am based
in Florida.   Apologies if my attachment URL is not permitted or if I did
not reply properly to tie my reply to the original poster -  pls let me
know if there are more instructions or rules for using GPFSug-discuss (I
could not find any such guidelines)).

-------------

Mladen,

Increasing or changing inodes in a GPFS/Spectrum Scale file system can be
done non-disruptively, within the boundaries of how GPFS / Spectrum Scale
works.

I wrote and delivered the following presentation on this topic back in 2013
in the GPFS V4.1 timeframe.  While older IBM technologies SONAS/V7000
Unified are the reason the preso was written, and the commands shown are
from those now-withdrawn products, the GPFS concepts involved  as far as I
know have not changed, and you can simply use the GPFS/Spectrum Scale
equivalent commands such as mmcrfs, mmcrfileset,  mmchfileset, etc to
allocate, add, or change inodes non-disruptively, within the boundaries of
how GPFS / Spectrum Scale works.   There's lots of diagrams.

Here is a Box link to download this 8.7MB  preso which anyone who has the
link can use to download :

https://ibm.box.com/shared/static/phn9dypcdbzyn2ei6hy2hc79lgmch904.ppt

This should apply to any Spectrum Scale / GPFS file system this is the the
Spectrum Scale V4.x or older format.  I would imagine a file system with
the newer  Scale V5 variable sub-blocks has a modification to the above
schema.  I'd be interested to know what that is and how V5 users should
modify the above diagrams/information.

The PPT is handy because there is animation in Slideshow mode to better
explain (at least in my mind) how GPFS / Spectrum Scale V4.x and older
allocates inodes, and how you extend or under what circumstances you can
change the number of inodes in either a file system or an independent file
set.

This Box link, will expire on Dec 31, 2019.  If you are reading this post
past that date, just email me and I will be happy to reshare the preso with
you.

I wrote this up because I myself needed to remember inode allocation
especially in light of how GPFS independent filesets works, should I ever
need to refer back to it.

Happy to hear feedback on the above preso from all of you out there.
Corrections/comments/update suggestions welcome.

Regards,

John M. Sing
Offering Evangelist, IBM Spectrum Scale, Elastic Storage Server, Spectrum
NAS
Venice, Florida
https://www.linkedin.com/in/johnsing/
jmsing at us.ibm.com    office:  941-492-2998

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mladen Portak mladen.portak at hr.ibm.com  wrote on Wed Mar 6 09:49:13 GMT
2019

Dear.

is it process of increasing inodes disruptive?

Thank You

Mladen Portak
Lab Service SEE Storage Consultant
mladen.portak at hr.ibm.com
+385 91 6308 293

IBM Hrvatska d.o.o. za proizvodnju i trgovinu
Miramarska 23, 10 000 Zagreb, Hrvatska
Upisan kod Trgovačkog suda u Zagrebu pod br. 080011422
Temeljni kapital: 788,000.00 kuna - uplaćen u cijelosti
Direktor: Željka Tičić
Žiro račun kod: RAIFFEISENBANK AUSTRIA d.d. Zagreb, Magazinska cesta 69,
10000 Zagreb, Hrvatska
IBAN: HR5424840081100396574 (SWIFT RZBHHR2X); OIB 43331467622