[gpfsug-discuss] Follow-up: migrating billions of files

Oesterlin, Robert Robert.Oesterlin at nuance.com
Wed Mar 6 12:44:24 GMT 2019

Some of you had questions to my original post. More information:

Source:
- Files are straight GPFS/Posix - no extended NFSV4 ACLs
- A solution that requires $’s to be spent on software (ie, Aspera) isn’t a very viable option
- Both source and target clusters are in the same DC
- Source is stand-alone NSD servers (bonded 10g-E) and 8gb FC SAN storage
- Approx 40 file systems, a few large ones with 300M-400M files each, others smaller
- no independent file sets
- migration must pose minimal disruption to existing users

Target architecture is a small number of file systems (2-3) on ESS with independent filesets
- Target (ESS) will have multiple 40gb-E links on each NSD server (GS4)

My current thinking is AFM with a pre-populate of the file space and switch the clients over to have them pull data they need (most of the data is older and less active) and them let AFM populate the rest in the background.

Bob Oesterlin
Sr Principal Storage Engineer, Nuance