[gpfsug-discuss] [NFS-Ganesha-Support] does ganesha deny access for unknown UIDs?

Billich Heinrich Rainer (PSI) heiner.billich at psi.ch
Fri Jan 25 09:13:53 GMT 2019

Hello Daniel,

thank you. The clients do NFS v3 mounts, hence idmap is no option - as I know it's used in NFS v4 to map between uid/guid and names only? For a process to switch to a certain uid/guid in general one does not need a  matching passwd entry? I see that with ACLs you get issues as they use names, and you can't do a server-side group membership lookup, and there may be more subtle issues.

Anyway, I'll create the needed accounts on the server. By the way: We had the same issue with Netapp filers and it took a while to  find the configuration option to allow 'unknown' uid/gid  to access a nfs v3 export.

I'll try  to reproduce on a test system with increased logging to see what exactly goes wrong and maybe ask later to add a configuration option to ganesha to switch to a behaviour more similar to kernel-nfs.

Many client systems at my site are legacy and run various operating systems, hence a complete switch to NFS v4 is unlikely to happen soon.

cheers,

Heiner
--
Paul Scherrer Institut