[gpfsug-discuss] Get list of filesets_without_runningmmlsfileset?

Buterbaugh, Kevin L Kevin.Buterbaugh at Vanderbilt.Edu
Mon Jan 21 16:02:50 GMT 2019

Hi All,

I just wanted to follow up on this thread … the only way I have found to obtain a list of filesets and their associated junction paths as a non-root user is via the REST API (and thanks to those who suggested that).  However, AFAICT querying the REST API via a script would expose the username / password used to do so to anyone who bothered to look at the code, which would in turn allow a knowledgeable and curious user to query the REST API themselves for other information we do not necessarily want to expose to them.  Therefore, it is not an acceptable solution to us.

Therefore, unless someone responds with a way to allow a non-root user to obtain fileset junction paths that doesn’t involve the REST API, I’m afraid I’m at a dead end in terms of making our quota usage Python script something that I can share with the broader community.  It just has too much site-specific code in it.  Sorry…

Kevin

P.S.  In case you’re curious about how the quota script is obtaining those junction paths … we have a cron job that runs once per hour on the cluster manager that dumps the output of mmlsfileset to a text file, which the script then reads.  The cron job used to just run once per day and used to just run mmlsfileset.  I have modified it to be a shell script which checks for the load average on the cluster manager being less than 10 and that there are no waiters of more than 10 seconds duration.  If both of those conditions are true, it runs mmlsfileset.  If either are not, it simply exits … the idea being that one or both of those would likely be true if something were going on with the cluster manager that would cause the mmlsfileset to hang.

I have also modified the quota script itself so that it checks that the junction path for a fileset actually exists before attempting to stat it (duh - should’ve done that from the start), which handles the case where a user would run the quota script and it would bomb off with an exception because the fileset was deleted and the cron job hadn’t run yet.  If a new fileset is created, well, it just won’t get checked by the quota script until the cron job runs successfully.  We have decided that this is an acceptable compromise.