[gpfsug-discuss] DSS-G

Matthew Robinson matthew.robinson02 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 18 19:25:35 GMT 2019

Hi Jonathan,

In the last DSS 2.x tarballs there should a PDG included. This should
provide alot of detail going over the solutions configuration and common
problems for troubleshooting. Or at least the Problem Determantion Guide
was there be for my department let me go. The shared IMM port is pretty
standard from the 3650 to the SD530's for the most part.

You should have a port marked shared on either and the IPMI interace is to
be shared mode for dual subnet masks on the same NIC. This is is the
standard xcat configuration from Sourcforge. If I am not mistaken the PDG
should be stored in the first DSS-G version tarball for reference.

Hope this helps,
Matthew Robinson

On Fri, Jan 18, 2019 at 10:23 AM Jonathan Buzzard <
jonathan.buzzard at strath.ac.uk> wrote:

> Anyone out their with a DSS-G using SR650 servers?
>
> We have one and after some hassle we have finally got the access to the
> software downloads and I have been reading through the documentation to
> familiarize myself with the upgrade procedure.
>
> Skipping over the shear madness of that which appears to involved doing
> a complete netboot reisntall of the nodes for every upgrade, it looks
> like we have wrong hardware. It all came in a Lenovo rack with factory
> cabling so one assumes it would be correct.
>
> However the "Manufactoring Preload Procedure" document says
>
>     The DSS-G installation scripts assume that IPMI access to the
>     servers is set up through the first regular 1GbE Ethernet port
>     of the server (marked with a green star in figure 21) in shared
>     mode, not through the dedicated IPMI port under the first three
>     PCIe slots of the SR650 server’s back, and not on the lower left
>     side of the x3650 M5 server’s back.
>
> Except our SR650's have 2x10GbE SFP+ LOM and the XCC is connected to
> the dedicated IPMI port. Oh great, reinstalling the OS for an update is
> already giving me the screaming heebie jeebies, but now my factory
> delivered setup is wrong. So in my book increased chance of the install
> procedure writing all over the disks during install and blowing away
> the NSD's. Last time I was involved in an net install of RHEL (well
> CentOS but makes little difference) onto a GPFS not with attached disks
> the installer wrote all over the NSD descriptors and destroyed the file
> system.
>
> So before one plays war with Lenovo for shipping an unsupported
> configuration I was wondering how other DSS-G's with SR650's have come
> from the factory.
>
> JAB.
>
> --
> Jonathan A. Buzzard                         Tel: +44141-5483420
> HPC System Administrator, ARCHIE-WeSt.
> University of Strathclyde, John Anderson Building, Glasgow. G4 0NG

Matthew Robinson
Comptia A+, Net+
919.909.0494
matthew.robinson02 at gmail.com

The greatest discovery of my generation is that man can alter his life
simply by altering his attitude of mind. - William James, Harvard
Psychologist.