[gpfsug-discuss] Get list of filesets _without_ running mmlsfileset?

Buterbaugh, Kevin L Kevin.Buterbaugh at Vanderbilt.Edu
Mon Jan 14 15:02:07 GMT 2019

Hi Scott and Valdis (and everyone else),

Thanks for your responses.

Yes, we _could_ easily build a local naming scheme … the name of the fileset matches the name of a folder in one of a couple of parent directories.  However, an earlier response to my post asked if we’d be willing to share our script with the community and we would … _if_ we can make it generic enough to be useful.  Local naming schemes hardcoded in the script make it much less generically useful.

Plus, it just seems to me that there ought to be a way to do this … to get a list of fileset names from mmlsquota and then programmatically determine their junction path without having root privileges.  GPFS has got to be storing that information somewhere, and I’m frankly quite surprised that no IBMer has responded with an answer to that.  But I also know that when IBM is silent, there’s typically a reason.

And yes, we could regularly create a static file … in fact, that’s what we do now once per day (in the early morning hours).  While this is not a huge deal - we only create / delete filesets a handful of times per month - on the day we do the script won’t function properly unless we manually update the file.  I’m wanting to eliminate that, if possible … which as I stated in the preceding paragraph, I have a hard time believing is not possible.

I did look at the list of callbacks again (good thought!) and there’s not one specifically related to the creation / deletion of a fileset.  There was only one that I saw that I think could even possibly be of use … ccrFileChange.  Can anyone on the list confirm or deny that the creation / deletion of a fileset would cause that callback to be triggered??  If it is triggered, then we could use that to update the static filesets within a minute or two of the change being made, which would definitely be acceptable.  I realize that many things likely trigger a ccrFileChange, so I’m thinking of having a callback script that checks the current list of filesets against the static file and updates that appropriately.

Thanks again for the responses…

Kevin