[gpfsug-discuss] Spectrum Scale protocol node service separation

Carl Zetie carlz at us.ibm.com
Wed Jan 9 19:19:20 GMT 2019

ST>I believe socket based licenses are also about to or already no longer available
ST>for new customers (existing customers can continue to buy).

ST>Carl can probably comment on this?

That is correct. Friday Jan 11 is the last chance for *new* customers to buy Standard Edition sockets.

And as Simon says, those of you who are currently Sockets customers can remain on Sockets, buying additional licenses and renewing existing licenses. (IBM Legal requires me to add, any statement about the future is an intention, not a commitment -- but, as I've said before, as long as it's my decision to make, my intent is to keep Sockets as long as existing customers want them).

And yes, one of the reasons I wanted to get away from Socket pricing is the kind of scenarios some of you brought up. Implementing the best deployment topology for your needs shouldn't be a licensing transaction. (Don't even get me started on client licenses).

regards,

Carl Zetie
Program Director
Offering Management for Spectrum Scale, IBM
----
(540) 882 9353 ][ Research Triangle Park
 carlz at us.ibm.com