[gpfsug-discuss] Adding ESS to existing Scale Cluster

Simon Thompson S.J.Thompson at bham.ac.uk
Wed Apr 3 17:17:44 BST 2019

We have DSS-G (Lenovo equivalent) in the same cluster as other SAN/IB storage (IBM, DDN). But we don't have them in the same file-system.

In theory as a different pool it should work, note though you can't have GNR based vdisks (ESS/DSS-G) in the same storage pool.

And if you want to move to new block size or v5 variable sunblocks then you are going to have to have a new filesystem and copy data. So it depends what your endgame is really. We just did such a process and one of my colleagues is going to talk about it at the London user group in May.

Simon