[gpfsug-discuss] RAID type for system pool

Jonathan Buzzard jonathan.buzzard at strath.ac.uk
Thu Sep 6 11:45:39 BST 2018

On Wed, 2018-09-05 at 13:37 -0400, Frederick Stock wrote:
> Another option for saving space is to not keep 2 copies of the
> metadata within GPFS.  The SSDs are mirrored so you have two copies
> though very likely they share a possible single point of failure and
> that could be a deal breaker.  I have my doubts that RAID5 will
> perform well for the reasons Marc described but worth testing to see
> how it does perform.  If you do test I presume you would also run
> equivalent tests with a RAID1 (mirrored) configuration.

When you have been on the wrong end of a double disk failure in a RAID1
when the second disk failed during the rebuild you probably want to
steer clear of such recklessness on a multi TB GPFS file system :-)

JAB.

--
Jonathan A. Buzzard                         Tel: +44141-5483420
HPC System Administrator, ARCHIE-WeSt.