[gpfsug-discuss] IO500 - Call for Submission for SC18

George Markomanolis george at markomanolis.com
Wed Oct 24 13:43:23 BST 2018

Dear all,

Please consider the submission of results to the new list.

Deadline: 10 November 2018 AoE

The IO500 is now accepting and encouraging submissions for the
upcoming IO500 list revealed at Supercomputing 2018 in Dallas, Texas.
We also announce the 10 compute node I/O challenge to encourage
submission of small-scale results. The new ranked lists will be
announced at our SC18 BOF on Wednesday, November 14th at 5:15pm. We
hope to see you, and your results, there.

The benchmark suite is designed to be easy to run and the community
has multiple active support channels to help with any questions.
Please submit and we look forward to seeing many of you at SC 2018!
Please note that submissions of all size are welcome; the site has
customizable sorting so it is possible to submit on a small system and
still get a very good per-client score for example. Additionally, the
list is about much more than just the raw rank; all submissions help
the community by collecting and publishing a wider corpus of data.
More details below.

Following the success of the Top500 in collecting and analyzing
historical trends in supercomputer technology and evolution, the IO500
was created in 2017 and published its first list at SC17. The need for
such an initiative has long been known within High-Performance
Computing; however, defining appropriate benchmarks had long been
challenging. Despite this challenge, the community, after long and
spirited discussion, finally reached consensus on a suite of
benchmarks and a metric for resolving the scores into a single
ranking.

The multi-fold goals of the benchmark suite are as follows:

Maximizing simplicity in running the benchmark suite
Encouraging complexity in tuning for performance
Allowing submitters to highlight their “hero run” performance numbers
Forcing submitters to simultaneously report performance for
challenging IO patterns.

Specifically, the benchmark suite includes a hero-run of both IOR and
mdtest configured, however, possible to maximize performance and
establish an upper-bound for performance. It also includes an IOR and
mdtest run with highly prescribed parameters in an attempt to
determine a lower-bound. Finally, it includes a namespace search as
this has been determined to be a highly sought-after feature in HPC
storage systems that have historically not been well measured.
Submitters are encouraged to share their tuning insights for
publication.

The goals of the community are also multi-fold:

Gather historical data for the sake of analysis and to aid predictions
of storage futures
Collect tuning information to share valuable performance optimizations
across the community
Encourage vendors and designers to optimize for workloads beyond “hero runs”
Establish bounded expectations for users, procurers, and administrators

10 Compute Node I/O Challenge

At SC, we will announce another IO-500 award for the 10 Compute Node
I/O Challenge. This challenge is conducted using the regular IO-500
benchmark, however, with the rule that exactly 10 computes nodes must
be used to run the benchmark (one exception is find, which may use 1
node). You may use any shared storage with, e.g., any number of
servers. When submitting for the IO-500 list, you can opt-in for
“Participate in the 10 compute node challenge only”, then we won't
include the results into the ranked list. Other 10 compute node
submission will be included in the full list and in the ranked list.
We will announce the result in a separate derived list and in the full
list but not on the ranked IO-500 list at io500.org.

Birds-of-a-feather

Once again, we encourage you to submit [1], to join our community, and
to attend our BoF “The IO-500 and the Virtual Institute of I/O” at SC
2018 [2] where we will announce the third ever IO500 list. The
current list includes results from BeeGPFS, DataWarp, IME, Lustre, and
Spectrum Scale. We hope that the next list has even more.

We look forward to answering any questions or concerns you might have.

[1] http://io500.org/submission
[2] https://sc18.supercomputing.org/presentation/?id=bof134&sess=sess390