[gpfsug-discuss] Thoughts on GPFS on IB & MTU sizes

Saula, Oluwasijibomi oluwasijibomi.saula at ndsu.edu
Sat Mar 10 14:29:33 GMT 2018

Wei -  So the expelled node could ping the rest of the cluster just fine. In fact, after adding this new node to the cluster I could traverse the filesystem for simple lookups, however, heavy data moves in or out of the filesystem seemed to trigger the expel messages to the new node.

This experience prompted my tunning exercise on the node and has since resolved the expel messages to node even during times of high I/O activity.

Nevertheless, I still have this nagging feeling that the IPoIB tuning for GPFS may not be optimal.

To answer your questions, Ed - IB supports both administrative and daemon communications, and we have verbsRdma configured.

Currently, we have both 2044 and 65520 MTU nodes on our IB network and I've been told this should not be the case. I'm hoping to settle on 4096 MTU nodes for the entire cluster but I fear there may be some caveats - any thoughts on this?

(Oh, Ed - Hideaki was my mentor for a short while when I began my HPC career with NDSU but he left us shortly after. Maybe like you I can tune up my Japanese as well once my GPFS issues are put to rest! 😊 )

Thanks,

Siji Saula
HPC System Administrator
Center for Computationally Assisted Science & Technology
NORTH DAKOTA STATE UNIVERSITY

<https://www.ndsu.edu/alphaindex/buildings/Building::395>Research 2 Building<https://www.ndsu.edu/alphaindex/buildings/Building::396><https://www.ndsu.edu/alphaindex/buildings/Building::395> – Room 220B
Dept 4100, PO Box 6050  / Fargo, ND 58108-6050
p:701.231.7749
www.ccast.ndsu.edu<file://composeviewinternalloadurl/www.ccast.ndsu.edu> | www.ndsu.edu<file://composeviewinternalloadurl/www.ndsu.edu>