[gpfsug-discuss] Brief survey question: Spectrum Scale downloads and protocols

Carl Zetie carlz at us.ibm.com
Wed Jul 25 17:40:46 BST 2018

The Spectrum Scale team is considering a change to Scale's packaging, and we'd like to get
input from as many of you as possible on the likely impact.

Today, Scale is available to download in two images: With Protocols, and Without Protocols.
We'd like to do away with this and in future just have one image, With Protocols. To be
clear, installing Protocols will still be entirely optional -- it's only the download that
will change.

You can find the survey here:
 www.surveygizmo.com/s3/4476580/IBM-Spectrum-Scale-Packaging

For those interested in a little more background...

Why change this? Because making two images for every Edition for every release and patch is
additional work, with added testing and more opportunities for mistakes to creep in. If
it's not adding real value, we'd prefer not to keep doing it!

Why do we need to ask first? Because we've been doing separate images for a long time, and there
was a good reason why we started doing it. But it's not clear that the original reasons
are still relevant. However, we don't want to make that assumption without asking first.

Thanks in advance for your help,

Carl Zetie
Offering Manager for Spectrum Scale, IBM
-
(540) 882 9353 ][ Research Triangle Park
 carlz at us.ibm.com