[gpfsug-discuss] preventing HSM tape recall storms

Jonathan Buzzard jonathan.buzzard at strath.ac.uk
Tue Jul 10 14:00:48 BST 2018

On Mon, 2018-07-09 at 14:57 -0400, Frederick Stock wrote:
> Another option is to request Apple to support the OFFLINE flag in the
> SMB protocol.  The more Mac customers making such a request (I have
> asked others to do likewise) might convince Apple to add this
> checking to their SMB client.

And we have a winner. The only workable solution is to get Apple to
Finder to support the OFFLINE flag. However good luck getting Apple to
actually do anything.

An alternative approach might be to somehow detect the client
connecting is running MacOS and prohibit recalls for them. However I am
not sure the Samba team would be keen on accepting such patches unless
it could be done in say VFS module.

JAB.

--
Jonathan A. Buzzard                         Tel: +44141-5483420
HPC System Administrator, ARCHIE-WeSt.