[gpfsug-discuss] Metadata only system pool

Buterbaugh, Kevin L Kevin.Buterbaugh at Vanderbilt.Edu
Tue Jan 23 17:16:36 GMT 2018

Hi All,

I was under the (possibly false) impression that if you have a filesystem where the system pool contains metadata only then the only thing that would cause the amount of free space in that pool to change is the creation of more inodes … is that correct?  In other words, given that I have a filesystem with 130 million free (but allocated) inodes:

Inode Information
-----------------
Number of used inodes:       218635454
Number of free inodes:       131364674
Number of allocated inodes:  350000128
Maximum number of inodes:    350000128

I would not expect that a user creating a few hundred or thousands of files could cause a “no space left on device” error (which I’ve got one user getting).  There’s plenty of free data space, BTW.

Now my system pool is almost “full”:

(pool total)           2.878T                                   34M (  0%)        140.9M ( 0%)

But again, what - outside of me creating more inodes - would cause that to change??

Thanks…

Kevin

—
Kevin Buterbaugh - Senior System Administrator
Vanderbilt University - Advanced Computing Center for Research and Education
Kevin.Buterbaugh at vanderbilt.edu<mailto:Kevin.Buterbaugh at vanderbilt.edu> - (615)875-9633