[gpfsug-discuss] GPFS best practises : end user standpoint

valdis.kletnieks at vt.edu valdis.kletnieks at vt.edu
Wed Jan 17 11:35:58 GMT 2018

On Tue, 16 Jan 2018 17:25:47 +0000, Jonathan Buzzard said:
> User comes with problem, you investigate find problem is due to "wacky"
> characters point them to the mandatory training documentation, tell
> them they need to rename their files to something sane and take no
> further action. Sure English is not their primary language but *they*
> have chosen to study in an English speaking country so best to actually
> embrace that.

> I do get it, many of our users are not native English speakers as well.
> Yes it's a tough policy but on the other hand pandering to them does
> them no favours either.

Go ahead and try to make that policy stick in Tokyo or Cairo or Berlin or any
other city or country where English isn't the primary language.

Seriously - this is something that IBM has to make work well across all
languages if they want to make this fly globally and not just in places that are
English-predominant.

Though to be honest, most of the problems I've had have been with embedded
blanks in filenames, newline characters in filenames (fortunately only a half dozen
or so out of almost 500M files), and esc-[-random from people banging on F8 instead
of 8, etc.  Have the occasional backspace character creep in too.