[gpfsug-discuss] mmap performance against Spectrum Scale

Ray Coetzee coetzee.ray at gmail.com
Fri Jan 12 20:51:13 GMT 2018

Hey Sven, the latest clients I've tested with is 4.2.3-6 on RHEL7.2.
(Without the meltdown patch)

Hey Bryan, I remember that quote from Yuri, that's why I hoped some "magic"
may have been done since then.

Other attempts to improve performance I've tried include:

   - Using LROC to have a larger chance of a cache hit (Unfortunately the
   entire dataset is multiple TB)
   - Built an NVMe based scratch filesystem (18x 1.8TB NVMe) just for this
   purpose (Job runs halved in duration but nowhere near what NFS can give)
   - Made changes to prefecthPct, PrefetchAgressiveness, DisableDIO, and
   some others with little improvement.

For those interested, as a performance comparison. The same job when run on
an aging Isilon takes 1m30s, while GPFS will take ~38min on the all NVMe
scratch filesystem and over 60min on spindle based filesystem.

Kind regards

Ray Coetzee
Email: coetzee.ray at gmail.com