[gpfsug-discuss] Meltdown, Spectre, and impacts on GPFS

Buterbaugh, Kevin L Kevin.Buterbaugh at Vanderbilt.Edu
Thu Jan 4 17:57:14 GMT 2018

Happy New Year everyone,

I’m sure that everyone is aware of Meltdown and Spectre by now … we, like many other institutions, will be patching for it at the earliest possible opportunity.

Our understanding is that the most serious of the negative performance impacts of these patches will be for things like I/O (disk / network) … given that, we are curious if IBM has any plans for a GPFS update that could help mitigate those impacts?  Or is there simply nothing that can be done?

If there is a GPFS update planned for this we’d be interested in knowing so that we could coordinate the kernel and GPFS upgrades on our cluster.

Thanks…

Kevin

P.S.  The “Happy New Year” wasn’t intended as sarcasm … I hope it is a good year for everyone despite how it’s starting out.  :-O

—
Kevin Buterbaugh - Senior System Administrator
Vanderbilt University - Advanced Computing Center for Research and Education
Kevin.Buterbaugh at vanderbilt.edu<mailto:Kevin.Buterbaugh at vanderbilt.edu> - (615)875-9633