[gpfsug-discuss] Inode scan optimization - (Tomasz.Wolski at ts.fujitsu.com )

valdis.kletnieks at vt.edu valdis.kletnieks at vt.edu
Thu Feb 8 15:52:22 GMT 2018

On Thu, 08 Feb 2018 10:33:13 -0500, "Marc A Kaplan" said:

> Please clarify and elaborate ....  When you write "a full backup ... takes
> 60 days"  - that seems very poor indeed.
> BUT you haven't stated how much data is being copied to what kind of
> backup media nor how much equipment or what types you are using... Nor
> which backup software...
>
> We have Spectrum Scale installation doing nightly backups of huge file
> systems using the mmbackup command with TivoliStorageManager backup, using
> IBM branded or approved equipment and software.

How long did the *first* TSM backup take?  Remember that TSM does the moral
equivalent of a 'full' backup at first, and incrementals thereafter.  So it's quite
possible to have a very large filesystem with little data churn to do incrementals
in 5-6 hours, even though the first one took several weeks.