[gpfsug-discuss] Anybody running GPFS over iSCSI?

Jonathan Buzzard jonathan.buzzard at strath.ac.uk
Mon Dec 17 16:22:35 GMT 2018

On Mon, 2018-12-17 at 08:50 +0100, Jan-Frode Myklebust wrote:
> I’d be curious to hear if all these arguments against iSCSI shouldn’t
> also apply to NSD protocol over TCP/IP?

They don't is the simple answer. Either theoretically or practically.
It won't necessarily be a problem for iSCSI either. It is the potential
for wild over subscription of the links with the total naivety of the
block based iSCSI protocol that is the issue. I suspect that with NSD
traffic it is self limiting.

That said looking about higher end switches seem to do DCE now, though
FCoE seems to have gone nowhere.

Anyway as I said if you want lower cost use SAS. Even if you don't want
to do ESS/SSS you can architecture something very similar using SAS
based arrays from your favourite vendor, and just skip the native RAID
bit.

JAB.

HPC System Administrator, ARCHIE-WeSt.