[gpfsug-discuss] fast ACL alter solution

Jonathan Buzzard jonathan.buzzard at strath.ac.uk
Thu Aug 30 23:34:07 BST 2018

On 11/08/15 21:56, Jonathan Buzzard wrote:

[SNIP]

> As I said previously what is needed is an "mm" version of the FreeBSD
> setfacl command
>
> http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?format=html&query=setfacl(1)
>
> That has the -R/--recursive option of the Linux setfacl command which
> uses the fast inode scanning GPFS API.
>
> You want to be able to type something like
>
>   mmsetfacl -mR g:www:rpaRc::allow foo
>
> What you don't want to be doing is calling the abomination of a command
> that is mmputacl. Frankly whoever is responsible for that command needs
> taking out the back and given a good kicking.

A further three years down the line and setting NFSv4 ACL's on the Linux
command line is still as painful as it was back in 2011.

So I again have a requirement to set NFSv4 ACL's server side :-( Futher,
  unfortunately somewhere in the last six years I lost my C code to do
this :-( In the process of redoing it I have been looking at the source
code for the Linux NFSv4 ACL tools. I think that with minimal
modification they can be ported to GPFS.

So far I have hacked up nfs4_getfacl to work, and it should not be too
much extra effort to hack up nfs_setfacl as well.

However I have a some questions. Firstly what's the purpose of a special
flag to indicate that it is smbd setting the ACL? Does this tie in with
the undocumented "mmchfs -k samba" feature?

Second there is a whole bunch of stuff about v4.1 ACL's. How does one
trigger that. All I seem to be able to do is get POSIX and v4 ACL's. Do
you get v4.1 ACL's if you set the file system to "Samba" ACL's?

Note in the longer term it I think it would be better to modify
FreeBSD's setfacl/getfacl (say renamed to mmsetfacl and mmgetfacl) to do
the job, on the basis that they handle both POSIX and NFSv4 ACL's in a
single command. Perhaps a RFE?

JAB.

HPC System Administrator, ARCHIE-WeSt.