[gpfsug-discuss] GPFS Independent Fileset Limit vs Quotas?

Peinkofer, Stephan Stephan.Peinkofer at lrz.de
Tue Aug 14 05:50:43 BST 2018

Dear Marc,

If you "must" exceed 1000 filesets because you are assigning each project to its own fileset, my suggestion is this:

Yes, there are scaling/performance/manageability benefits to using mmbackup over independent filesets.

But maybe you don't need 10,000 independent filesets --
maybe you can hash or otherwise randomly assign projects that each have their own (dependent) fileset name to a lesser number of independent filesets that will serve as management groups for (mm)backup...

OK, if that might be doable, whats then the performance impact of having to specify Include/Exclude lists for each independent fileset in order to specify which dependent fileset should be backed up and which one not?
I don’t remember exactly, but I think I’ve heard at some time, that Include/Exclude and mmbackup have to be used with caution. And the same question holds true for running mmapplypolicy for a “job” on a single dependent fileset? Is the scan runtime linear to the size of the underlying independent fileset or are there some optimisations when I just want to scan a subfolder/dependent fileset of an independent one?

Like many things in life, sometimes compromises are necessary!

Hmm, can I reference this next time, when we negotiate Scale License pricing with the ISS sales people? ;)

Best Regards,
Stephan Peinkofer