[gpfsug-discuss] GPFS Independent Fileset Limit vs Quotas?

Peinkofer, Stephan Stephan.Peinkofer at lrz.de
Mon Aug 13 08:26:00 BST 2018

Dear Marc,

OK, so let’s give it a try:

[root at datdsst100 pr74qo]# mmlsfileset dsstestfs01
Filesets in file system 'dsstestfs01':
Name                     Status    Path
root                     Linked    /dss/dsstestfs01
quota_test_independent   Linked    /dss/dsstestfs01/quota_test_independent
quota_test_dependent     Linked    /dss/dsstestfs01/quota_test_independent/quota_test_dependent

[root at datdsst100 pr74qo]# mmsetquota dsstestfs01:quota_test_independent --user a2822bp --block 1G:1G --files 10:10
[root at datdsst100 pr74qo]# mmsetquota dsstestfs01:quota_test_dependent --user a2822bp --block 10G:10G --files 100:100

[root at datdsst100 pr74qo]#  mmrepquota -u -v dsstestfs01:quota_test_independent
*** Report for USR quotas on dsstestfs01
                         Block Limits                                    |                     File Limits
Name       fileset    type             KB      quota      limit   in_doubt    grace |    files   quota    limit in_doubt    grace entryType
a2822bp    quota_test_independent USR               0    1048576    1048576          0     none |        0      10       10        0     none e
root       quota_test_independent USR               0          0          0          0     none |        1       0        0        0     none i

[root at datdsst100 pr74qo]#  mmrepquota -u -v dsstestfs01:quota_test_dependent
*** Report for USR quotas on dsstestfs01
                         Block Limits                                    |                     File Limits
Name       fileset    type             KB      quota      limit   in_doubt    grace |    files   quota    limit in_doubt    grace entryType
a2822bp    quota_test_dependent USR               0   10485760   10485760          0     none |        0     100      100        0     none e
root       quota_test_dependent USR               0          0          0          0     none |        1       0        0        0     none i

Looks good …

[root at datdsst100 pr74qo]# cd /dss/dsstestfs01/quota_test_independent/quota_test_dependent/
[root at datdsst100 quota_test_dependent]# for foo in `seq 1 99`; do touch file${foo}; chown a2822bp:pr28fa file${foo}; done

[root at datdsst100 quota_test_dependent]#  mmrepquota -u -v dsstestfs01:quota_test_dependent
*** Report for USR quotas on dsstestfs01
                         Block Limits                                    |                     File Limits
Name       fileset    type             KB      quota      limit   in_doubt    grace |    files   quota    limit in_doubt    grace entryType
a2822bp    quota_test_dependent USR               0   10485760   10485760          0     none |       99     100      100        0     none e
root       quota_test_dependent USR               0          0          0          0     none |        1       0        0        0     none i

[root at datdsst100 quota_test_dependent]#  mmrepquota -u -v dsstestfs01:quota_test_independent
*** Report for USR quotas on dsstestfs01
                         Block Limits                                    |                     File Limits
Name       fileset    type             KB      quota      limit   in_doubt    grace |    files   quota    limit in_doubt    grace entryType
a2822bp    quota_test_independent USR               0    1048576    1048576          0     none |        0      10       10        0     none e
root       quota_test_independent USR               0          0          0          0     none |        1       0        0        0     none i

So it seems that per fileset per user quota is really not depending on independence. But what is the documentation then meaning with:
>>> User group and user quotas can be tracked at the file system level or per independent fileset.
???

However, there still remains the problem with mmbackup and mmapplypolicy …
And if you look at some of the RFEs, like the one from DESY, they want even more than 10k independent filesets …

Best Regards,
Stephan Peinkofer
--
Stephan Peinkofer
Dipl. Inf. (FH), M. Sc. (TUM)

Leibniz Supercomputing Centre
Data and Storage Division
Boltzmannstraße 1, 85748 Garching b. München
Tel: +49(0)89 35831-8715     Fax: +49(0)89 35831-9700