[gpfsug-discuss] GPFS Independent Fileset Limit

Marc A Kaplan makaplan at us.ibm.com
Fri Aug 10 18:15:34 BST 2018

I know quota stuff was cooked into GPFS before we even had "independent
filesets"...
So which particular quota features or commands or options now depend on
"independence"?! Really?

Yes, independent fileset performance for mmapplypolicy and mmbackup scales
with the inodespace sizes. But I'm curious to know how many of those indy
filesets are mmback-ed-up.

Appreciate your elaborations, 'cause even though I've worked on some of
this code, I don't know how/when/if customers push which limits.

---------------------
Dear Marc,

well the primary reasons for us are:
- Per fileset quota (this seems to work also for dependent filesets as far
as I know)
- Per user per fileset quota (this seems only to work for independent
filesets)
- The dedicated inode space to speedup mmpolicy runs which only have to be
applied to a specific subpart of the file system
- Scaling mmbackup by backing up different filesets to different TSM
Servers economically

We have currently more than 1000 projects on our HPC machines and several
different existing and planned file systems (use cases):