[gpfsug-discuss] Sub-block size not quite as expected on GPFS 5 filesystem?

Marc A Kaplan makaplan at us.ibm.com
Thu Aug 2 01:00:47 BST 2018

Firstly, I do suggest that you run some tests and see how much, if any,
difference the settings that are available make in performance and/or
storage utilization.

Secondly, as I and others have hinted at, deeper in the system, there may
be additional parameters and settings.  Sometimes they are available via
commands, and/or configuration settings, sometimes not.

Sometimes that's just because we didn't want to overwhelm you or ourselves
with yet more "tuning knobs".

Sometimes it's because we made some component more tunable than we really
needed, but did not make all the interconnected components equally or as
widely tunable.
Sometimes it's because we want to save you from making ridiculous settings
that would lead to problems...

OTOH, as I wrote before, if a burning requirement surfaces, things may
change from release to release... Just as for so many years subblocks per
block seemed forever frozen at the number 32.  Now it varies... and then
the discussion shifts to why can't it be even more flexible?