[gpfsug-discuss] ILM: migrating between internal pools while premigrated to external

valdis.kletnieks at vt.edu valdis.kletnieks at vt.edu
Wed Apr 25 01:09:52 BST 2018

On Wed, 25 Apr 2018 01:10:52 +0200, "Uwe Falke" said:

> Instead, one of the internal pools (pool0) is used to receive files
> written in very small records, the other (pool1) is the "normal" pool and
> receives all other files.

How do you arrange that to happen?  As we found out on one of our GPFS
clusters, you can't use filesize as a criterion in a file placement policy because
it has to pick a pool before it knows what the final filesize will be.

(The obvious-to-me method is to set filesets pointed at pools, and then attach
fileset to pathnames, and then tell the users "This path is for small files, this one
is for other files" and thwap any who get it wrong with a clue-by-four. ;)