[gpfsug-discuss] SPectrum Scale on AWS

Mike Owen mikeowen at thinkboxsoftware.com
Mon Sep 25 10:26:21 BST 2017

Full PR release below:

https://aws.amazon.com/about-aws/whats-new/2017/09/deploy-ibm-spectrum-scale-on-the-aws-cloud-with-new-quick-start/

Posted On: Sep 13, 2017

This new Quick Start automatically deploys a highly available IBM Spectrum
Scale cluster with replication on the Amazon Web Services (AWS) Cloud, into
a configuration of your choice. (A small cluster can be deployed in about
25 minutes.)

IBM Spectrum Scale is a flexible, software-defined storage solution that
can be deployed as highly available, high-performance file storage. It can
scale in several dimensions, including performance (bandwidth and IOPS),
capacity, and number of nodes that can mount the file system. The product’s
high performance and scalability helps address the needs of applications
whose performance (or performance-to-capacity ratio) demands cannot be met
by traditional scale-up storage systems. The IBM Spectrum Scale software is
being made available through a 90-day trial license evaluation program.

This Quick Start automates the deployment of IBM Spectrum Scale on AWS for
users who require highly available access to a shared name space across
multiple instances with good performance, without requiring an in-depth
knowledge of IBM Spectrum Scale.

The Quick Start deploys IBM Network Shared Disk (NSD) storage server
instances and IBM Spectrum Scale compute instances into a virtual private
cloud (VPC) in your AWS account. Data and metadata elements are replicated
across two Availability Zones for optimal data protection. You can build a
new VPC for IBM Spectrum Scale, or deploy the software into your existing
VPC. The automated deployment provisions the IBM Spectrum Scale instances
in Auto Scaling groups for instance scaling and management.

The deployment and configuration tasks are automated by AWS CloudFormation
templates that you can customize during launch. You can also use the
templates as a starting point for your own implementation, by downloading
them from the GitHub repository
<https://github.com/aws-quickstart/quickstart-ibm-spectrum-scale>. The
Quick Start includes a guide with step-by-step deployment and configuration
instructions.

To get started with IBM Spectrum Scale on AWS, use the following resources:

   - View the architecture and details
   <https://aws.amazon.com/quickstart/architecture/ibm-spectrum-scale/>
   - View the deployment guide
   <https://s3.amazonaws.com/quickstart-reference/ibm/spectrum/scale/latest/doc/ibm-spectrum-scale-on-the-aws-cloud.pdf>
   - Browse and launch other AWS Quick Start reference deployments