[gpfsug-discuss] Fw: Wrong nodename after server restart

IBM Spectrum Scale scale at us.ibm.com
Wed Sep 13 22:33:30 BST 2017

----- Forwarded by Eric Agar/Poughkeepsie/IBM on 09/13/2017 05:32 PM -----

From:   IBM Spectrum Scale/Poughkeepsie/IBM
To:     Michal Zacek <zacekm at img.cas.cz>
Date:   09/13/2017 05:29 PM
Subject:        Re: [gpfsug-discuss] Wrong nodename after server restart
Sent by:        Eric Agar

Hello Michal,

It should not be necessary to delete whale.img.cas.cz and rename it.  But,
that is an option you can take, if you prefer it. If you decide to take
that option, please see the last paragraph of this response.

The confusion starts at the moment a node is added to the active cluster
where the new node does not have the same common domain suffix as the
nodes that were already in the cluster.  The confusion increases when the
GPFS daemons on some nodes, but not all nodes, are recycled.  Doing
mmshutdown -a, followed by mmstartup -a, once after the new node has been
added allows all GPFS daemons on all nodes to come up at the same time and
arrive at the same answer to the question, "what is the common domain
suffix for all the nodes in the cluster now?"  In the case of your
cluster, the answer will be "the common domain suffix is the empty string"
or, put another way, "there is no common domain suffix"; that is okay, as
long as all the GPFS daemons come to the same conclusion.

After you recycle the cluster, you can check to make sure all seems well
by running "tsctl shownodes up" on every node, and make sure the answer is
correct on each node.

If the mmshutdown -a / mmstartup -a recycle works, the problem should not
recur with the current set of nodes in the cluster.  Even as individual
GPFS daemons are recycled going forward, they should still understand the
cluster's nodes have no common domain suffix.

However, I can imagine sequences of events that would cause the issue to
occur again after nodes are deleted or added to the cluster while the
cluster is active.  For example, if whale.img.cas.cz were to be deleted
from the current cluster, that action would restore the cluster to having
a common domain suffix of ".img.local", but already running GPFS daemons
would not realize it.  If the delete of whale occurred while the cluster
was active, subsequent recycling of the GPFS daemon on just a subset of
the nodes would cause the recycled daemons to understand the common domain
suffix to now be ".img.local".  But, daemons that had not been recycled
would still think there is no common domain suffix.  The confusion would
occur again.

On the other hand, adding and deleting nodes to/from the cluster should
not cause the issue to occur again as long as the cluster continues to
have the same (in this case, no) common domain suffix.

If you decide to delete whale.img.case.cz, rename it to have the
".img.local" domain suffix, and add it back to the cluster, it would be
best to do so after all the GPFS daemons are shut down with mmshutdown -a,
but before any of the daemons are restarted with mmstartup.  This would
allow all the subsequent running daemons to come to the conclusion that
".img.local" is now the common domain suffix.

I hope this helps.

Regards,
Eric Agar

Regards, The Spectrum Scale (GPFS) team

If you feel that your question can benefit other users of  Spectrum Scale
(GPFS), then please post it to the public IBM developerWroks Forum at
https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/community/forums/html/forum?id=11111111-0000-0000-0000-000000000479
.

If your query concerns a potential software error in Spectrum Scale (GPFS)
and you have an IBM software maintenance contract please contact
1-800-237-5511 in the United States or your local IBM Service Center in
other countries.

The forum is informally monitored as time permits and should not be used
for priority messages to the Spectrum Scale (GPFS) team.