[gpfsug-discuss] mmfsd write behavior

Aaron Knister aaron.s.knister at nasa.gov
Fri Sep 8 04:05:42 BST 2017

Thanks Sven. I didn't think GPFS itself was caching anything on that
layer, but it's my understanding that O_DIRECT isn't sufficient to force
I/O to be flushed (e.g. the device itself might have a volatile caching
layer). Take someone using ZFS zvol's as NSDs. I can write() all day log
to that zvol (even with O_DIRECT) but there is absolutely no guarantee
those writes have been committed to stable storage and aren't just
sitting in RAM until an fsync() occurs (or some other bio function that
causes a flush). I also don't believe writing to a SATA drive with
O_DIRECT will force cache flushes of the drive's writeback cache..
although I just tested that one and it seems to actually trigger a scsi
cache sync. Interesting.

-Aaron