[gpfsug-discuss] FIle system vs Database

Marc A Kaplan makaplan at us.ibm.com
Thu Nov 30 20:52:09 GMT 2017

Generally the GPFS API will give you access to some information and
functionality that are not available via the Posix API.

But I don't think you'll find significant performance difference in cases
where there is functional overlap.

Going either way (Posix or GPFS-specific) - for each API call the
execution path drops into the kernel - and then if required - an
inter-process call to the mmfsd daemon process.