[gpfsug-discuss] SOBAR restore with new blocksize and/or inodesize

Marc A Kaplan makaplan at us.ibm.com
Wed Nov 29 16:37:02 GMT 2017

This redbook

http://w3-03.ibm.com/support/techdocs/atsmastr.nsf/3af3af29ce1f19cf86256c7100727a9f/335d8a48048ea78d85258059006dad33/$FILE/SOBAR_Migration_SpectrumScale_v1.0.pdf

has these and other hints:

-B blocksize, should match the file system block size of the source
system, but can also be larger (not smaller). To obtain the file system
block size in the source system use the command: mmlsfs -B

-i inodesize, should match the file system inode size of the source
system, but can also be larger (not smaller). To obtain the inode size in
the source system use the following command: mmlsfs -i. Note, in Spectrum
Scale it is recommended to use a inodesize of 4K because this well aligns
to disk I/O. Our tests have shown that having a greater inode size on the
target than on the source works as well.

If you really want to shrink the blocksize, some internal testing
indicates that works also.
Shrinking the inodesize also works, although this will impact the
efficiency of small file and extended attributes in-the-inode support.