[gpfsug-discuss] setxattr via policy

Jez Tucker jtucker at pixitmedia.com
Wed Nov 22 09:20:55 GMT 2017

Hi Marcus,

   Something like this should do you:

RULE 'setxattr' LIST 'do_setxattr'
FOR FILESET ('xattrfileset')
WEIGHT(DIRECTORY_HASH)
ACTION(SETXATTR('user.testflag1','projectX'))
WHERE
     KB_ALLOCATED >  [insert required file size limit]

Then with one file larger and another file smaller than the limit:

root at elmo:/mmfs1/policies# getfattr -n user.testflag1
/mmfs1/data/xattrfileset/*
getfattr: Removing leading '/' from absolute path names
# file: mmfs1/data/xattrfileset/file.1
user.testflag1="projectX"

/mmfs1/data/xattrfileset/file.2: user.testflag1: No such attribute

As xattrs are a superb way of automating data operations, for those of
you with our Python API have a look over the xattr examples in the git
repo: https://github.com/arcapix/gpfsapi-examples as an alternative
Pythonic way to achieve this.

Cheers,

Jez

On 22/11/17 03:13, Marcus Koenig wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I've got a question around setting userdefined extended attributes. I
> have played around a bit with setting certain attributes via mmchattr
> - but now I want to run a policy to do this for me for certain
> filesets or file sizes.
>
> How would I write my policy to set an attribute like
> user.testflag1=projectX on a number of files in a fileset that are
> bigger than 1G for example?
>
> Thanks folks.
>
> Cheers,
> Marcus

*Jez Tucker*
Head of Research and Development, Pixit Media
07764193820 | jtucker at pixitmedia.com <mailto:jtucker at pixitmedia.com>
www.pixitmedia.com <http://www.pixitmedia.com> | Tw:@pixitmedia.com
<https://twitter.com/PixitMedia>

--
 <info at pixitmedia.com>
This email is confidential in that it is intended for the exclusive