[gpfsug-discuss] Antwort: [Newsletter] Re: Combine different rules

Jonathan Buzzard jonathan.buzzard at strath.ac.uk
Wed Nov 1 14:12:43 GMT 2017

On Wed, 2017-11-01 at 15:01 +0100, Matthias.Knigge at rohde-schwarz.com
wrote:
> Hi JAB,
>
> many thanks for your answer.
>
> Ok, some more background information:
>
> We are working with video realtime applications and uncompressed
> files. So one project is one folder and some subfolders. The size of
> one project could be more than 1TB. That is the reason why I want to
> move the whole folder tree.

That is not a reason to move the whole folder tree. If the "project" is
inactive then the files in it are inactive and the normal "this file
has not been accessed" type rules will in due course move the whole lot
over to the slower storage.

> Moving old stuff to the slower storage is not the problem but moving
> the files back for working with the realtime applications. Not every
> file will be accessed when you open a project.

Yeah but you don't want these sorts of policies kicking in
automatically. Further if someone where just to check or update a
summary document stored with the videos, the whole lot would get moved
back to fast disk.

By the sounds of it you are going to have to run manual mmapplypolicies
to move the groups of files around. Automating what you want is going
to be next to impossible.

JAB.

HPC System Administrator, ARCHIE-WeSt.