[gpfsug-discuss] Combine different rules

Matthias.Knigge at rohde-schwarz.com Matthias.Knigge at rohde-schwarz.com
Wed Nov 1 10:55:31 GMT 2017

Hi at all,

I configured a tiered storage with two pools.

pool1   >>      fast    >>      ssd
pool2   >>      slow    >>      sata

First I created a fileset and a placement rule to copy the files to the
fast storage.

After a time of no access the files and folders should be moved to the
slower storage. This could be done by a migration rule. I want to move the
whole project folder to the slower storage.

If a file in a project folder on the slower storage will be accessed this
whole folder should be moved back to the faster storage.

The rules must  not run automatically. It is ok when this could be done by
a cronjob over night.

I am a beginner in writing rules. My idea is to write rules which listed
files by date and by access and put the output into a file. After that a
bash script can change the attributes of these files or rather folders.

This could be done by the mmchattr command. If it is possible the
mmapplypolicy command could be useful.

Someone experiences in those cases?

Many thanks in advance!

Matthias