[gpfsug-discuss] mmbackup with fileset : scope errors

Jaime Pinto pinto at scinet.utoronto.ca
Thu May 18 00:48:58 BST 2017

Quoting "Luis Bolinches" <luis.bolinches at fi.ibm.com>:

> Hi
>
> have you tried to add exceptions on the TSM client config file?

Hey Luis,

That would work as well (mechanically), however it's not elegant or
efficient. When you have over 1PB and 200M files on scratch it will
take many hours and several helper nodes to traverse that fileset just
to be negated by TSM. In fact exclusion on TSM are just as
inefficient. Considering that I want to keep project and sysadmin on
different domains then it's much worst, since we have to traverse and
exclude scratch & (project|sysadmin) twice, once to capture sysadmin
and again to capture project.

If I have to use exclusion rules it has to rely sole on gpfs rules,
and somehow not traverse scratch at all.

I suspect there is a way to do this properly, however the examples on
the gpfs guide and other references are not exhaustive. They only show
a couple of trivial cases.

However my situation is not unique. I suspect there are may facilities
having to deal with backup of HUGE filesets.

So the search is on.

Thanks
Jaime